Forums » 3-on-3 Tournaments » New Ideas, Suggestions and Thoughts for the next 3on3

Messages for New Ideas, Suggestions and Thoughts for the next 3on3

Comment Posted by Admin Lix May 04, 2010 09:04 AM

Here is the opportunity for the admins to review and reflect on the good and bad of the 3on3 tournaments. Your comments will be reviewed. And as for those that have complaints, please keep the wording clean!

I should also note that you can speak to an admin (Felix, Lester, Justin) privately if you do not wish to post anything on the forum.

Thanks!

Comment Posted by Admin Lix May 04, 2010 09:52 AM

One of the things that I wanted to change from this last tournament was the subs and games for the playoffs. I think that having fewer teams but with an additional subs will help teams get much needed breaks in between games. At the same time, i want series for the playoffs because it gives teams a second chance to redeem themselves and more bang for their buck. anything else?

Comment Posted by vince May 04, 2010 12:48 PM

sorry lix, re: over the back. i didn't see it and i thought u were joking since we were all joking about it on the bench before the game started. over the back can sometimes be one of those hard calls to make, like moving pic or carry or offensive foul. but it was a round robin game, so that's y

yes, it's hard to get that same level of seriousness since probably 80-90% of the guys playing that day were playing, but weren't overly concerned about it all, since most of us play each other on a weekly basis already. the old 3on3s were a combination of Tuesday ballers plus Thursday ballers plus some outsiders and it was a 1/2 day event. so there was more to prove.

i agree that a best of 3 series to 11 for the playoffs is better, but too bad there wasn't enough time that night.

i know it's hard, but it would be nice to have a big 3on3 next time and we force people to pay up at least a month in advance. then we use that money, pay for a gym on a saturday and use it for a good 4-6hrs. it would be nice to make a small donation to the church just for using the gym every week also, even though we aren't using it for the 3on3, and then small prizes if anything left. i don't mind assisting with this, but probably won't be able to coordinate the whole thing due to time limitations.

as for drafting of teams, it would be fun to draft the teams right before the tournament starts while everyone is sitting there...it will kinda be like bingo. anyways, finer details like this can be worked out later.

as for 2on2, we can just use CC still though and that should be enough.

Comment Posted by rblmr May 04, 2010 03:56 PM

I like the idea of drafting teams instead of forming your own team. this makes the tourney more interesting.

the sub idea is great, especially since we always had it before. not that a sub would make much difference in my team's defeat since skytrain was on fire, but at least that would make it more fair.

the # of games for the playoffs should be taken into consideration too.

Comment Posted by Admin Lix May 04, 2010 05:23 PM

We could look into renting a gym like killarny or even at a community center like kensington. i'll look into it.. it does suck that we can have a whole day for the 3on3... i will speak to the principal once again.

as for the drawing teams... it was a matter of saving time which is why it was done beforehand. if we had more time i would have waited for everyone.

Comment Posted by rblmr May 04, 2010 06:42 PM

point taken on the drawing of teams. makes perfect sense. just that the other way around would make it more suspenseful, hopefully we will have enough time to allow us to do that.

now get me the HIGHLIGHTS!!!!!!!!!

Comment Posted by Admin Lix May 04, 2010 07:02 PM

your enthusiam seems to show that you are interested on the upcoming 3on3... i guess you wont whine and cry about joining the next time around

Comment Posted by rblmr May 04, 2010 07:49 PM

as long as i get a cheap team!

Comment Posted by Admin Lix May 04, 2010 07:51 PM

you did man! how can you complain about the last team>!>!>!>

Comment Posted by rblmr May 05, 2010 07:59 AM

i mean a cheap team again.

Comment Posted by danielcslau May 05, 2010 03:55 PM

Hey guys,

On a vacation right now so I'll make it brief.

I definitely agree having more time would be great / whether saturday or rent a gym.

To defend my idea of drawing for teams rather than drafting or self made teams (as was the case before): When you make your own teams, the better players tends to gravitate towards each other... this would leave some of the less talented players feel left out and would decrease the turnout for the tournament. If I remembered correctly, tournament #8 (or 7) had a really small turnout. Also, making your own teams could result in some very stacked teams. I would imagine it'd be pretty difficult to draft for the teams the night of the tourney because it would take up a lot of the time. Drafting a week before may allow people in weaker teams to bail the week of the actual tourney. With regards to 3 players per team vs. 4 players, the reason I wanted to try 3 players is because the players have no choice of who they play with (randomly made)... it'd be really hard to convince one person on each team to sit out crunch time situations... I'd imagine it'd hurt some feelings.

P.S. Lix, sry I didn't pick up on the over the back call either... I too thought it was a joke.

P.S.S. Thanks to admins for giving me the chance to organize the tourney!

Comment Posted by yyyello May 09, 2010 07:55 PM

Full day idea is great but may be difficult for most people to work into their scheds. Perhaps this could be the one big annual tourney. Can do one other smaller scale 3 on 3 or 2 on 2 on a regular ball nite. Could then work the draft into part of the full day. There would be more excitement for sure. (good idea Vince!) Also, great idea to force all regulars to participate in order to keep "regular" status. More time would also allow for best of 3's in the playoffs, which I agree with Lix that it is more exciting as teams get a chance to redeem themselves (i.e., builds a rivalry, a chance to readjust). I don't mind having a round (quarterfinals?) where it is single knockout. Even more excitement! Makes the round robin potentially mean something more than just seeding (odd # teams = bye for top team...rest and no chance of one and done).

Whore makes a good point about how making your own team has gradually decreased the participation in the tourney...Another thing that always plagues the 3 on 3 tourneys is fouling players that most of us can't stop (i.e., Yoga, Train). It's not as big a deal on regular nights b/c it tends to stay within reason. However, the fouls sometimes do get quite out of hand during 3 on 3s (memory vault: the summer where Yoga/Cyrus/Dave teamed up for the 3on3...back during the "glory years" of the 3on3 tourney ahha...). I'm wondering if there is anyway to make it more fair for these players; not b/c they need the breaks, but b/c i think it cheapens the competition when one can continuously foul without any consequence simply b/c they are unstoppable if we play within the rules. As dominant as they are, they would be much more dominant if we actually play within the rules. The lack of consequence for continuously fouling also leads to some borderline dirty play...i think this does make the tourney less attractive and has been part of the reason for the decline in ppl's desire to play in the 3 on 3.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com