Forums » 3-on-3 Tournaments » 9th 3-on-3 Tournament

Messages for 9th 3-on-3 Tournament

Comment Posted by danielcslau Mar 29, 2010 10:50 AM

CCWB’s 3-on-3 Tournament is BACK! It’s been almost 1.5 years since the last tournament and some old timers (like me) have been yearning to play in another one. For those who have never participated, the 3-on-3 tournament is unlike any other night of ball – the intense (but fun) games bring the best out of all players. Being crowned a CCWB champion is no easy feat, even if your basketball name is Yoga.

Entry fee is $5 per person. Half of the total proceeds will be donated to the church. The rest of the proceeds will go as a prize to the first and second place team (in a 75/25 spit). The entry fee (paid to Lester) is due one week before the tournament (so April 20th).

In past years, we required people to make their own teams and signup. This resulted in stacked teams (think Lester… j/k). This year, to even the playing field and to get participation out of everyone who wants to play, we will make semi-random teams. I said semi-random because I’ll make sure every team has a big guy, a point guard and a swing man. Before the teams are made, I will categorize you guys (i.e. point guard, swing man). We will make the teams by randomly drawing one person from each category for each team. You will not be permitted to make your own teams or choose who you want to play with. We will have teams of 4. The goal is to have at least 6 teams at the tourney (so 24 players would be a decent number).

Date: April 27, 2010
Time: 7:00pm – 10:00pm

If you are not able to show up by 7:15pm at the latest, we ask that you not sign up for the tournament. We need to finish the whole tournament in one day, so we need people to be on time and not leave early (unless you plan to get eliminated early). We need a strong commitment from you guys to make this happen. Please remember to save the date and please remember to be on time for once ;p

Comment Posted by vince Mar 31, 2010 06:58 PM

count me in. looking forward to a 3on3 to change things up!

Comment Posted by danielcslau Apr 01, 2010 06:04 AM

uh-oh... Vince is going to be bringing his Scottie Pippen like 'D' to shut me down. I better up my game, or "randomly" put him on my team.

Comment Posted by Admin Lex Apr 13, 2010 11:57 AM

Paul Ming: "No... I don't wanna play for money. It will be crazy aggressive and many ppl will get hurt." Hahahahaha!

Comment Posted by vince Apr 18, 2010 10:23 AM

yeah agreed, we shouldn't play for money. maybe some sort of medal or something like we done before (?)

Comment Posted by Admin Lex Apr 22, 2010 12:31 PM

I'm open to the money part - we can do with or without. I'll consult with Native in regards to the medals.

Whore: "We will have 7 teams for the 3-on-3 tourney next week. All teams will play each other once in round robin to determine the seedings. The top team gets a buy to the semi finals. All other teams will play in the quarter finals. Seed 2 plays Seed 7. Seed 3 plays Seed 6. Seed 4 plays Seed 5. Quarter finals will be one game up to 15. Depending on time we have, semis and finals will either be one game up to 15 or best of 3 with games up to 13. Remember to get there on time so we could fit more games in!"

Confirmed participants (minimum 21, maximum 23 as of right now; looks like having 8 teams is a possibility if we can get one more and if nobody bails):
蔡尚辉, aka Edison
Arms
Delonte
Elliot
God
Haslem
Josh - waiting for Justin to get back to me
Lim(b)s
Matrix
Michael Redd
Mickey Mouse
Monte Ellis, aka Felix Tang
Pipes
Rayban - paid
Rob - paid
Skytrain
Tayza Da Layza
The Glove - paid
The Spirit of Rayban
Tony
Vince-anity
Vinny B
Whore

Comment Posted by Felix Apr 25, 2010 03:47 PM

Why Monte?

Comment Posted by Admin Lex Apr 25, 2010 05:37 PM

Either Whore or Rayban or both said that. I agree.

Comment Posted by Felix Apr 25, 2010 08:27 PM

u mean 10 turnover per game? LoL

Comment Posted by vince Apr 26, 2010 07:38 AM

thanks for the text guys. see everyone at 7pm tomorrow.

by the way, will the teams be drawn beforehand or day of?

Comment Posted by danielcslau Apr 26, 2010 02:10 PM

Teams have already been drawn. You're on a cheap team Vince.

Comment Posted by Admin Lex Apr 26, 2010 05:51 PM

Lebron-esque, triple-double: 10+ points, 10+ rebounds, 10+ turnovers.

Teams were drawn and I was no part of it. Cheap.

Comment Posted by vince Apr 27, 2010 07:23 AM

If the team has me in it, it can't be cheap. Unless I'm with Yoga and Arms/Luis haha

Comment Posted by Admin Arms Apr 28, 2010 04:57 AM

Congratz on the Win, Team Skytrain Glove Whore. After last night, i have to admit age has finally caught up to me. And yes vince, i did not know how to deal with the cramp at first cuz this is the first time for me(that badly anyways). maybe we'll have to start taking age into consideration for making teams too. everyone on our team was 26+? i wonder how Ray managed NOT to cramp. that's UndeRayted.
good job organizing everything guys(lix,les,whore). we should try to get one more 3v3 before years end. the teams were fairly even, for the most part.(best rec in RR was only 4-2). our team shouldn't of been allowed to advance to the finals with our injuries. after delonte went down it was 3 against Ray. it must of been pretty funny seeing it from the sidelines tho. ray actually held up pretty good until the score was 8-9 then skytrain caught fire. underayted!

Comment Posted by danielcslau Apr 28, 2010 11:37 AM

Thanks Arms. How's the leg feeling today. If we starting taking age into consideration, then we need to start taking marriage and kids into consideration as well ;) Ray didn't cramp because he was giving a half effort! Imagine the type of impact player he would've been if he actually tried.

Another 3v3 later this year would be fun. I think we actually get more playing time in 3v3 than a normal night of 5v5, since 12 players could be on the court at the same time vs. 10 players. Glad to hear that the randomized teams came out fairly even.

If we're voting for a tournament mvp, I would definitely vote for Calvin (no brainer). However, I thought Victor also deserves a lot of credit for knocking down a high percentage of his jumpers and for his hustle. With teammates like that, I didn't have to do shit, which I'm glad cuz I was suffering badly from a charlie-horse yesterday.

Memories from the tournament:

1. Ray's back-to-back double clutch layups (with the last one being and1) to win the semi-finals game for his team.
2. Arms and Delonte's valiant effort in the finals after cramping up (the game was 9-8 for them at one point).
3. The "over-the-back!" call by Lix... which Calvin ignored.
4. Epic semi-finals match between Rob and Arms team. Team speed vs. Team big. The two tournament favourites unfortunately had to meet in the semis.
5. Contraversial play between Felix Tang and Stats Whore in the quarterfinals. Felix calls a charge on SW while SW calls a blocking foul. SW looks over to the sidelines for a second opinion. With nobody from the sidelines answering, SW forces his call on Felix and counts the and1 bucket. After the game, Lester and Zechy claims to witness a charge on the play. Luis/Felix/Haslem got robbed!?! I wish someone had actually spoken up during the game. That way, we could've shot for it, etc.
6. Calvin missing 80% of his jump shot in round robin, yet finding the clutchness inside of him to hit 80% of his jump shots in the playoffs. This surprised his checks, most of whom backed off on him to stop his drive and dared him to shoot. If Calvin didn't find the range, the playoffs would have had a completely different outcome.

Please feel free to add to this list if I missed any of the action.

Great to see some of the old-timers like Haslem come back for the tournament (showing no effects of rust either). Also, great to have a bunch of our new-timers participate (Elliott, Felix Tang, Tony, Vinny B).

Comment Posted by Admin Lex Apr 28, 2010 12:59 PM

9th 3-on-3 Tournament

April 27, 2010

Round Robin:
A beat G 15-6
A beat H 14-10
G beat P 14-10
G beat H 14-9
M beat H 14-8
M beat S 14-8
P beat A 14-8
S beat A 14-8
S beat G 14-8
E beat G 14-7
H beat E 14-7
M beat A 14-7
M beat G 14-6
E beat M 14-5
P beat E 14-5
H beat P 13-11
P beat M 13-11
S beat P 13-11
A beat E 13-9
E beat S 13-9
S beat H 13-6

Standings after Round Robin:
1st seed: Matrix + Rob + Tayza Da Layza (4-2)
2nd seed: Skytrain + The Glove + Whore (4-2)
3rd seed: Pipes + The Spirit of Rayban + Vinny B (3-3)
4th seed: Arms + Delonte + Rayban (3-3)
5th seed: Edison, Lim(b)s, Tony (3-3)
6th seed: God, Elliot, Vince-anity (2-4)
7th seed: Haslem, Mickey Mouse, Monte Ellis (2-4)

Quarters-Finals:
#2 seed S beat #7 seed H 15-9
#3 seed P beat #6 seed G 15-11
#4 seed A beat #5 seed E score was not recorded

Semi-Finals:
#2 seed S beat #3 seed P 18-2
#4 seed A upset #1 seed M 17-13

Finals:
#2 seed S beat #4 seed A 17-8

Champions: Skytrain + The Glove + Whore

All-CCWB Tournament First-Team: Arms, Rayban, Skytrain, The Glove, Whore

MVP: Skytrain

Comment Posted by yyyello Apr 28, 2010 02:25 PM

***phew...comp rebooted on its own...thought i lost all this typing...

Old Highlights...

#6. I think Ray was hacked by Tser and Antelope on the game-winning drive across the key lay up/scoop shot from 5 ft out. Almost identical to the basket he made the play before. Also in the same game, Antelope and Rob each had 2 or 3 shots, a few were layups, where the ball rattled around the rim and went in and out. (I thought Rob's team was up 15-13? Thought all those were for the game.) Antelope's team was totally dominating on D and O (but none of the shots would drop towards the end), but they didn't have Ray!

#5. I have no doubt that was a charge. Tang didn't move. Hor tried to split the D by a quick fake to Tang's right then going to his left between Tang and the other defender, but Tang basically got run over. Both Tang and Hor got up vehemently defending their case. I think that it's probably for the better that Lix has insisted that players on the court settle disputes themselves. Otherwise, we get 7 refs on the sidelines every night. So, all I can say about this controversial call is just that it was settled the way we've always settled it and unfortunately, the outcome was incorrect (in my opinion at least). Unless we assign refs, I'm not sure there's a better way to settle disputed calls. More importantly, I don't think that was the TSN Turning Point in that game anyways. It's not why Hor's team won and why Tang's team lost.

New Highlights...

#7. Semifinals: Game tied at 13-13 (thought it was 15-13 for Antelope's team)...Antelope took the ball off the top, checked it, Rob yells out "Remember, pass off the top", Antelope dribbles, Rob thinks he's going to drive and make a sweet dish, Antelope drives hard to the hoop, Rob thinks "what the heck is this guys going to do?", Antelope does his patented bank layup from 4 ft out, rattles out BUT Tser right underneath the hoop for an easy layup...BUT WAIT...Antelope never passed the ball after checking it! = TURNOVER! ahhahaha...i thought it was hilarious. Rob ribbed Antelope for a good 10-15 minutes after the loss. Apparently it was the play that changed Rob's fate in meeting his supermodel future wife. Guess he'll have to settle for Roseanne.

#8. Cal single-handedly won the Semifinal game against me/Lex/Vinny B. Scored 15 of 18 pts by himself...scored in sth like the first 5 possessions...up 16-0 at one point. There was no stopping the C-Train.

Honourable Mentions...

1. I thought Tser played some tough D, particularly in the semis. I didn't watch a lot of his games, but of the glimpses I caught, I kept thinking "Who is this guy?". Keep it up Tser! Lots of pride to be won on regular ball nights too. ;)

2. Vinny B. shot the ball very well for most of the night and was tough on D. I guess 3 on 3s do bring out the best in everyone.

Comment Posted by rblmr Apr 28, 2010 02:56 PM

great effort on organizing the event admins! my team got lucky against rob's team. if i didn't foul on two of their close shots we probably would've lost (i went for the ball tho). also, antelope's mental breakdown on that particular play was a godsend!

whore's team played great down the stretch by using the skytrain as a decoy on offense on a couple of possessions to spread out the floor for them. lim's team had a nice game plan as well, but too bad some of their long balls didn't drop.

i was freaking lucky on those two shots in the semis, plain and simple. i had no legs in the final game to make any shots. tho i didn't cramp up last nite i am certainly sore as hell today. hope arms n delonte are better now.

after yoha I think skytrain should be the next on the ccwb banning list. does anyone agree?

Comment Posted by danielcslau Apr 28, 2010 05:22 PM

I totally don't deserve to be an All-CCWB Tournament First-Team. I was literally playing like shit. Age may have caught up to Arms now, but it caught up to me many years ago (and the charlie-horse didn't help). If Calvin and Glove didn't step up, we would've been toast. I'm too slow to defend the quick guards and too weak to defend the strong forwards. Probably someone from Seed #1's team deserved to be on First-Team.

Zechy, I have no doubt that I ran Felix Tang over on that play... my argument is that he was moving while I was running him over (offense gets the call in that situation). When I forced the call, I didn't think there was any controversy. Hearing about it afterwards made me realize that there were people (other than Tank) who thought otherwise. If I knew that was the case, I would have settled it by shooting for it. I think that's a simple solution to the problem.

Comment Posted by Admin Lex Apr 28, 2010 06:17 PM

It was actually a foul by The SPIRIT of Rayban on that play. =p

Whore, enjoy your 2-week vacation! See you May 18!

Comment Posted by calvin Apr 28, 2010 06:20 PM

Honourable Mentions from me:

1. Tser! he played some serious tight solid D on me on the round robin. Even though I got fouled on almost every play, he definitly wore me out after that game! luckily I realized (Thanks to Whore) that I should save some of my energy for the later games.

2. THE GLOVE! definitly MVP of 3on3 in my books. He grabbed a ton of loose balls and fought for every rebound like i have never seen him before. Not to mention he nailed at least 50% of his 3's, which eased the pressure off of me and whore.

3. Arms/Delonte - playing through the finals even though you could all tell they were all cramped up and worn out from the prior game with Rob.

Thanks admins for organizing this!

PS: I think The Glove and i would like our "volleyball" trophy!!! jk!

Comment Posted by Admin Lex Apr 28, 2010 06:38 PM

Tayza Da Layza, the Rayban-Killer!

The Glove's been very hot lately. I guess because he's NOT wearing the glove?! Lol.

Alf has that all to himself - probably sleeps with it every night!

Comment Posted by tserjkh Apr 28, 2010 07:54 PM

hahahaha Thank you very much for all of you!!!! this is the first time i heard pple saying that i am playing good D!!! Anyway i want to say that it is a team effort especially when we r playing against C-train's team!!! Without the help from my teammates Matrix and Rob, it would be impossible to beat the Champ on the first match!!! so thx a lot again to Rob and Matrix and the admins as well for drawing a good team for me!!!!!!

Comment Posted by rblmr Apr 29, 2010 08:21 AM

omg http://

Comment Posted by Timeless Apr 29, 2010 11:06 AM

Thanks for organizing guys. It nice to take a break from regular ball and play some half court. C-train was definitely MVP, he totally took over during the playoffs.

It's actually easier to get to loose balls on 3v3 cuz there's less bodies in the way.

Arms and Delonte definitely deserve the praise, stick to it all the way to the end. No Paul Pierce oscars in the finals!

If Alf is sleeping with that trophy, I don't think I wanna touch it now, ahaha.

Comment Posted by Admin Lex Apr 29, 2010 12:20 PM

Haha Rayban, I should start calling fouls like that more often!

Alf is drooling all over it too! =D

Comment Posted by Timeless May 03, 2010 05:28 AM

http://

my fav paul pierce moment

Comment Posted by Admin Lix May 04, 2010 09:02 AM

Hey guys,

Great comments from everyone. It seems like a long time since I had last posted but I do read the site every nite.

Just a coupla things to say:

1) Zechy's right about the calls. We should leave it for the players in the game to settle it. I will automatically assume that anyone who is debating with hor will have a heck of a time. as always, any irreconcilable problems will be decided with a 3pt shot by the defender. that's how we've always settled it and we dont want too many ppl hollering calls and taking sides. we are playing under the honor system so please be honest about all calls. that being said, there will always be a difference in opinion and somehow we have to work past it. i have to admit that i was quite upset when i made the "over the back" call and no one gave me the time of day... including my teammates.. thank you vince. but hey, sometimes, it happens and i digress.

2) everyone played hard and i must say i miss the seriousness of a real competition. btw, I will try to pry the trophy off of alf if he is sleeping with it. hey lester, have we decided what to do with the funds? at first i thought about half and half for the church and winners. but there's been some concern over the matter. anyway, let me know if anyone has any ideas.

3) i also want to keep the doors forum open for any questions, suggestions and ideas to make the 3on3 tournaments better. we take everything under consideration and nothing is too silly to be suggested. its how we improve as a league and a community. you can post your thoughts under the new heading "new ideas for 3on3"

4) hopefully we can have many more as the donations are great for the church and building a long lasting rapport with everyone.

Cheers,

Felix

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com