Forums » CCWB Bball » Foul calling

Messages for Foul calling

Comment Posted by danielcslau Mar 11, 2009 12:08 PM

Hey guys,

Lately, I've noticed some grumblings about my foul calling. I'm making a post here to address that.

To begin, I'd like to say that most of the fouls I've called that people disagree with is the one where I go "up and under". While I personally feel that it is a perfectly legit foul to call, I will no longer call them given the peer pressure received. For the sake of discussion, I would still like to explain why I think it's perfectly legit. In basketball, I have been taught that when a defender is moving (even if it's slightly) and the offensive player initiates contact, it's a foul on the defender. Therefore, when I see my defender moving, I jump into them to initiate contact and throw the ball up at the basket. This usually results in a wild shot at the bucket and a foul called by me.

I understand the reason why most people grumble is because there is usually very little contact and this is street ball (that's why I'm cutting it out from my repetoire and therefore the foul calling). BUT, I do believe that contact is contact. You should also note that I barely gain any unfair advantage with that move (it's just a habit move that works well when free throws are part of the game)... If I didn't do that move, I could very easily pass the ball back up to the top of the key and it would be the equivalent of the check ball that I get from calling the foul. The wild shot rarely goes in. Please note that the wild shot that I throw up is NOT because good defense forced me to throw it up. I throw it up because I honestly feel contact. Contact that people on the sideline may not see but that really is made.

I hope people understand (and take notice in future games) that aside from the fouls I call on the up and under move, I don't call many fouls otherwise. I get bumped/pushed/undercut/hit a lot when I dribble or drive to the bucket, and in an effort to not appear cheap, I don't call them unless they are just too blatant or unless I'm in the act of shooting.

Coles Notes: I will not call fouls for the up and under move anymore unless blatant.

Comment Posted by Admin Lix Apr 01, 2009 03:41 AM

dood, its all good man... i think ppl just like to give you a hard time for those calls because you didnt get decked or something. tecnically its a foul and it should be called. the only gripe the guys might have about it is that it might slow the game down due to all the stoppage of plays. however, its still fine in my books. players do have to find a way to protect themselves if they're gonna get hit all the time.

Comment Posted by Admin Lex Apr 01, 2009 09:41 AM

i think the grumblings mainly come from the ones where the defenders HAVE THEIR HANDS STRAIGHT UP and THEIR BODIES TOTALLY AREN'T MOVING because i have experienced a few myself, although not recently. because if that's really the case and you make the foul call, of course people on the court and on the bench will shake their heads. but i haven't seen any of this lately as you have made 99.99% of your game facing up rather than posting up~

Comment Posted by danielcslau Apr 01, 2009 10:55 AM

Trust me... when I call the foul, their bodies ARE moving. More than half the time (when I did that move in the past), my defender is actually off their feet. The rest of the time (that a foul is called), the defender is moving slightly towards me. Regardless of whether people think that's a foul, I have solved the problem by not doing the move anymore. It's never been a vital part of my game, and I have other ways to score.

Lix, you made a good point about how that type of foul calling slows down the game. Perhaps more the incentive for me to shelve the move.

Comment Posted by Admin Lix Apr 01, 2009 11:53 AM

actually dood, you should open your elbow up so that it crashes into your defenders face. that way he'll think twice before coming at you again. learned it from my cousin karson. lol

Comment Posted by danielcslau Apr 01, 2009 12:44 PM

LOL... sounds like Karson's taught you many tricks of the trade! You, Karson and Kevin Wong must have been a riot to play against.

Comment Posted by Admin Lex Apr 01, 2009 01:14 PM

man... talk about cheap moves lol~

Comment Posted by vince Apr 01, 2009 07:31 PM

very debatable topic. there are some weaker calls sometimes, but some that are completely left uncalled.

technically whore is rite about the up and under foul. but then again a bunch of other things are left uncalled too which fall in the same category in my mind.

- i haven't played anywhere where the picks and screens move so damn much. probably 70-80% of the picks set are fouls.

- body contact when blocking. u can't use your left arm to balance on your opponent while using your right hand to block them. you also can't throw a guy off his balance in mid air by bumping into them. the funniest is ppl always say, "it was all ball!" and not realize they fouled them with body contact.

- body contact before the shot. if someone is driving to the hoop you can't just bump into them on the ground. u either stand still and take the charge, or move with them as they jump.

- dirty steals. if u steal the ball by ramming into the dude, it's not a steal, it's foul.

but anyways, it's still fun...well, fun when i'm part of the CHEAP TEAM!

Comment Posted by Admin Lex Apr 01, 2009 07:38 PM

"fun when i'm part of the CHEAP TEAM!"

amen to that lol. i'm still waitin to be on the cheap team!

Comment Posted by Admin Lix Apr 02, 2009 04:49 AM

something tells me that im guilty of all those things hahaha.... alrite, thanks for the heads up vince... there will be less fouling by me.

Comment Posted by Admin Lex Apr 02, 2009 04:53 AM

"something tells me that im guilty of all those things hahaha"

cheap? hahahahaha...

"probably 70-80% of the picks set are fouls"

this reminds me of garnett and perkins in the nba finals last year, sigh... cheap cheap cheap!!!

Comment Posted by Admin Lix Apr 02, 2009 05:10 AM

hey vince, im gonna have to ask you to sorta "clarify" with me on how to set a proper pick

Comment Posted by Admin Lex Apr 02, 2009 05:24 AM

that's pretty easy. once you pick a spot on the floor, you pretty can't move your body (and of course shove with your arms at any time)~

Comment Posted by Admin Lix Apr 02, 2009 06:08 AM

i meant to show me the next time we meet!

Comment Posted by Admin Lex Apr 02, 2009 06:11 AM

lix needs the visuals lol...

Comment Posted by Admin Lix Apr 02, 2009 06:20 AM

YEP!

Comment Posted by vince Apr 02, 2009 03:56 PM

hahaha lix man, i was talkin about u, those are just very common things most of us all do. i'm sure i don't give proper picks either since it's not the norm.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com